BullBreedsUnite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeBullBreedsUniteSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FW: [BSL-UPDATES] Public reacts to proposed BSL in Auburn, California

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Judy Chevalier

Judy Chevalier

FW: [BSL-UPDATES] Public reacts to proposed BSL in Auburn, California Empty
PostSubject: FW: [BSL-UPDATES] Public reacts to proposed BSL in Auburn, California   FW: [BSL-UPDATES] Public reacts to proposed BSL in Auburn, California EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 7:56 am

Great compliment from city councilman Kevin Hanley with respect to his communications with those opposed to BSL:

[Hanley] said that he hopes to continue the “courteous” exchange about the issue. ... "Everybody has been courteous so that’s a good way to approach a public policy issue I think."

That's what its all about guys! Keep up the great work!

Jodi

Public reacts to proposed pitbull ordinance Councilman says city will have limits

By Jenifer Gee Journal Staff Writer

A report on how the city could handle animal problems may be a month away, but elected officials have already received plenty of feedback from the public.

Auburn City Councilman Kevin Hanley has asked city staff to look at ways to address problems with fighting-breed dogs such as pitbulls.

His possible proposals to either ban the breed completely from city limits or impose restrictions drew reaction from people on both sides of the issue.

“I’ve received probably a dozen or more e-mails a day and a lot of cell phone calls,” Hanley said Wednesday. “I’ve been receiving a lot of phone calls from both residents concerned about pitbulls and what to do about them and lots of suggestions.”

Hanley’s request for what actions the city can take came after a September incident during which a 17-year-old Weimar resident was attacked and severely injured by four pitbulls in a Downtown Auburn parking lot.

On Wednesday, Auburn City Manager Bob Richardson said the city attorney and police chief are taking the lead on compiling information for a report on what possible actions the city council can take regarding pets and their owners.

“We’ve got out work cut out for us to get that report together,” Richardson said.

He estimated that the report would be before the council in about a month.

Councilman Bill Kirby said he thinks it’s a good time to take a look at the city’s current laws and whether they can be improved.

“I think we need to examine carefully how the rules against violent pets and owners who are irresponsible are enforced and look at our legislation and our ordinances to see if we need to anything to improve that,” Kirby said.

Hanley added that over the course of e-mail and phone conversations he has learned that state law prohibits Auburn from outright banning a breed from the city. He said the law outlines that cities can only enact ordinances related to mandatory spay-and-neuter breeding requirements.

“We are restricted as far as the city of Auburn in what we can do,” Hanley said.

In a letter to the editor, Nevada County attorney Susan Wallace said that city officials should not hurt the breed and rather should focus on the pet owner.

“State Law does not allow this councilman’s quick-fix proposal to become law and he likely knows it, or should,” Wallace wrote. “But it makes a nice sound bite at the expense of great animals (pitbulls) and gives him lots of kudos for appearing to solve a problem that isn’t solved by outlawing a specific breed of dog.”

Hanley said he’s received a number of e-mails from pitbull-related organizations. He said that he hopes to continue the “courteous” exchange about the issue.

“I do appreciate residents when they give me their opinion,” Hanley said. “Everybody has been courteous so that’s a good way to approach a public policy issue I think.”

Jenifer Gee can be reached at jeniferg@goldcountrymedia.com.

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/133590.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=&user_id=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&event_ts_to=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevalier-bullterriers.com

FW: [BSL-UPDATES] Public reacts to proposed BSL in Auburn, California
Page 1 of 1