BullBreedsUnite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeBullBreedsUniteSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EXERCISE...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tracie
Admin
Tracie

EXERCISE... Empty
PostSubject: EXERCISE...   EXERCISE... EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 6:40 am

Exercise, exercise, exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!
This point cannot be stressed enough for dog owners. I have been thumbing through the board lately and seen many posts that the answer is exercise and stimulation. There are many “Behavioral Issues” that can be “cured” by dogs having enough exercise. I am not saying that exercise is a panacea by any stretch of the imagination but it does play a key role in some of dogs most annoying habits here is a short list that may not be all inclusive:

*Barking the dog barks at every little stinking thing that moves more than likely this dog is looking for a way to entertain itself.

*Digging again what else is Fido going to do all day if he stuck in the backyard with nothing to do.

*Chewing he is chewing everything and anything he can sink his teeth into.

*Midnight Zoomies he is running around your house like a mad man. Then he is trying to do what you should have and decompress himself.

Misdiagnosed behavioral problems that are a direct result of a lack of exercise: Now I am not making light of behavioral issues in all of these examples there could a more serious problem if that is the case it needs to be addressed by a qualified trainer. Some of these examples there are also training issues that need to be addressed please do so.

“Aggression” your sitting on the couch and Fido launches a barking attack on you but you never get bitten or you see that he is clearly trying to play. The dog is just going “crazy” well that is because you ignored all of the other signs that Fido needed attention and a job to do. Fido has had it, he can’️t entertain himself forever so your corrections to stop are useless because they are “worth it” to have a little fun. Also “attacks” on the kids in the home will become more frequent because there is nothing cooler to the dog than to “attack” a large squeaky toys like a kid.

“Separation Anxiety” when a dog really does have SA it is a big deal and that again needs to worked on with a trainer. Nevertheless, if you are seeing your house be destroyed then your dog needs more exercise.

Going NUTS whenever Fido sees another dog, human, or the door bell rings well again if that is the best that Fido sees then your dog needs more exercise.

Now what constitutes exercise for a dog? People tell me ALL the time,” I walk my dog for a 2,3,4,or 5 miles a day and you are telling me that is not enough?” Yep!!!! that is what I am telling you, even a long walk may not be enough. Walking is great but it is not enough for working dogs that do not have jobs. All of the breeds that are on this board are/were/is working breeds and they need EXERCISE!!! I am not saying to stop training your dog and just start to exercise them that would be silly and ridiculous, but what I am saying is that a tired dog is a good dog.
Have to agree 100% with above statement.
Back to top Go down
roxiedog

roxiedog

EXERCISE... Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXERCISE...   EXERCISE... EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 2:39 am

Dogs do get up to less mischief when they get plenty of exercise. I used to run our dogs 5km 4 nights a week but had to stop when i was followed home by some junky creep that was planning to steal our dogs. It’s now been a couple of weeks that i haven’t run them and i have noticed that they don’t sleep as well wandering in and out of the house all night. and they just don’t seem to be as happy as before . Unfortunately we are stuck in this place for the next year or so. i think I’m going to have to start putting our dogs in the car and driving them to another area to walk them
Back to top Go down
http://www.taranduamstaffs.com
Tracie
Admin
Tracie

EXERCISE... Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXERCISE...   EXERCISE... EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 am

roxiedog wrote:
Dogs do get up to less mischief when they get plenty of exercise. I used to run our dogs 5km 4 nights a week but had to stop when i was followed home by some junky creep that was planning to steal our dogs. It’s now been a couple of weeks that i haven’t run them and i have noticed that they don’t sleep as well wandering in and out of the house all night. and they just don’t seem to be as happy as before . Unfortunately we are stuck in this place for the next year or so. i think I’m going to have to start putting our dogs in the car and driving them to another area to walk them
Thats crap hun that some junkie was gonna try nab the dogs.
I agree though about not been settled,my two are used to a fast regular workout,they only get a day off lol!
On the odd day ive not been able to get them out,or later than usual i can see the change in them.They get restless and my bitch gets narky with my lad.
Guess its all doen what the dogs used too exercise wise,i dont see the point though of having a dog and taking it out for a run on weekends or xmas,they need stimulation every day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EXERCISE... Empty
PostSubject: Re: EXERCISE...   EXERCISE... Empty

Back to top Go down

EXERCISE...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BullBreedsUnite :: General Dog Related :: BullBreedsUnite General Dog Chat-
Jump to: