BullBreedsUnite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeBullBreedsUniteSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FW: Stop BSL, NC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Judy Chevalier

Judy Chevalier

FW: Stop BSL, NC Empty
PostSubject: FW: Stop BSL, NC   FW: Stop BSL, NC EmptySun Nov 15, 2009 12:08 pm

Charlotte, NC: Pit Bulls Taken To Charlotte Shelter Costing Taxpayers
Posted: 15 Nov 2009 06:54 AM PST

Breed-specific no-adopt policy in the Charlotte shelter results in a lot of innocent dead dogs at a high expense to taxpayers.
Animal Care and Control would like to hear opinions from the public about their breed-specific no-adopt policy:
8315 Byrum Drive
Charlotte, NC 28217
Phone-Local……………..311
Out of County- 704-336-7600
City Council would need to vote to change the shelter’s policy. Contact them through this handy online form:
http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/City+Council/Forms/home.htm
Charlotte itself does not have breed-specific legislation.
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/21608988/detail.html
9 Investigates: Pit Bulls Taken To Charlotte Shelter Costing Taxpayers
Posted: 3:50 pm EST November 13, 2009
Updated: 6:34 pm EST November 13, 2009
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — About 2,500 pit bulls come through pit bull row at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Animal Care and Control each year.
Most never leave — at least not alive.
Eighty percent go to the euthanasia room.
“Shelters are just inundated with pit bulls,” said spokeswoman Melissa Knicely.
She said that poses a special challenge at Charlotte’s facility because pit bulls can’t be adopted out. But most have to be kept at least 72 hours, which means they have to get shots.
“Any animal that comes into the shelter, including cats or dogs, has to be vaccinated when they come into the shelter to control the spread of disease and that sort of thing,” Knicely said.
Vaccinations are mandatory for every breed and they run about $5 a dog. Multiply that by the more than 2,500 pit bulls that came to the shelter last year and that’s nearly $12,000 public tax dollars to vaccinate dogs that aren’t adoptable.
“You’re spending that money for dogs that are then most likely going to be put to sleep,” said Eyewitness News anchor Erica Bryant.
“I don’t think that not vaccinating . . . is necessarily going to be the answer because of the spread of disease that that could cause when they come into the shelter,” Knicely said.
A very small percentage of pit bulls are spared whenever there’s room for them with an approved rescue group, which can screen applicants more thoroughly.
But Rhonda Thomas, who runs Project Halo, said it’s not easy.
“I love the breed, but finding a good home for a pit bull has always been a challenge for us,” she said.
Right now, she has three pit bulls she’d like to adopt out, including Xavier, who was used in dog fighting.
“I’ve never seen a dog in worse shape in my life,” Thomas said.
She said many people who want to adopt pit bulls aren’t the type who should adopt them.
Until she finds suitable owners for the three she already has, she can’t take anymore in.
“It’s hard to find a home for them,” she said. “In the 12 years I’ve been doing this, I’ve placed two.”
Knicely said there is some talk of changing the policy that prevents direct adoption of pit bulls from the shelter, but she said it’s very preliminary.
“(We) are really just formulating ideas. We’re reaching out to different members of the community, not just Animal Care and Control, but with the Humane Society and different organizations,” she said.
Leslie Wright, who some days has to bring 20 dogs down the hall and up onto the euthanization table, said he’s all for anything to cut those numbers.
“You have a perfectly healthy, friendly animal, but you can’t keep it because it’s a certain type of dog,” he said.
Animal Care and Control workers said the real solution is spaying and neutering.
Knicely said if they didn’t have to spend so much vaccinating animals they can’t adopt out, that’s probably what they’d put that money toward. But, they have to vaccinate to protect other animals there.
To change the policy about not adopting out pit bulls, the department would need city council approval and extra staff. But before it even got that far, they’d want to hear from the public because they realize some people might be very opposed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevalier-bullterriers.com

FW: Stop BSL, NC
Page 1 of 1