BullBreedsUnite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeBullBreedsUniteSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FW: [BSL-UPDATES] UPDATE - Dandridge, TN

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Judy Chevalier

Judy Chevalier

FW: [BSL-UPDATES] UPDATE - Dandridge, TN Empty
PostSubject: FW: [BSL-UPDATES] UPDATE - Dandridge, TN   FW: [BSL-UPDATES] UPDATE - Dandridge, TN EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 6:48 pm

rom: BSL-UPDATES@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BSL-UPDATES@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jodi Preis
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:10 AM

The reporter's headline for the article below takes a sort of "glass half empty" stance on tonight's council meeting. As someone who attended the meeting and spoke with the mayor and council members afterward, it appeared to me that they are very interested in pursuing an ordinance that implements tiered sanctions and one that does not focus on specific breeds of dog. A workshop will be held the first week in November to discuss rewriting the ordinance and, hopefully, "starting from scratch," as one council member stated.

We had an incredible turnout tonight, and I am so very thankful to everyone who came to the meeting and spoke on behalf of the dogs! All the communications between council and attendees were respectful and informative, and the council was definitely provided with a vast assortment of helpful information. You guys really came through, and you should be proud of yourselves for a job well done!

We had the opportunity to work with a patient and sensible council, and I am extremely hopeful a new ordinance is going to be drafted that contains no breed specific language.

Sorry for the condensed update, but I've driven across the state twice in two days, and its way past my bedtime, besides... you can read the article and watch the video for "the rest of the story."

Jodi
Pit bull owners celebrate temporary victory against ban
Katie Shands

After listening to more than an hour of passionate pleas from pit bull owners Tuesday night, the Dandridge Board of Aldermen voted to ditch its proposed regulation on pit bulls and start over from scratch.

Tuesday night was the third and final reading of the proposed regulation that would have banned any new pit bulls within town limits. The regulations would have also required owners of existing pit bull to obtain at least $50,000 of liability insurance. Going into Tuesday's meeting, both supporters and opponents of the plan said it seemed to be a done deal.

Five residents of Dandridge previously voiced concerns about the breed after some close calls with aggressive pit bulls.

"We were asked by citizens of this town to do something. This is the reason we are here tonight," said George Gantte, Mayor of Dandridge.

More than 50 people showed up for Tuesday's public hearing, all of them in opposition to restricting pit bulls. Most of those in attendance were not residents of Dandridge, but said the town's proposed regulation impacts the entire region.

"When one town passes this type of breed specific legislation, it sets a precedent and signals other towns to do the same," said Wendy Jackson with the East Tennessee Pit Bull Rescue.

Jodi Preis, founder of Bless the Bullys rescue group, drove from Crossville to voice her concerns to the regulations.

"Dogs are a product of their owners. If you have a problem dog issue, you have a problem dog owner issue," said Preis. "There are alternatives to breed specific bans that help control problem-owners. That includes escalating fines for each infraction with a tiered system."

The crowd pointed out several problems with breed specific legislation. Obstacles enforcement due to the difficulty associated with identifying pit bulls from other breeds.

Preis and others in the crowd provided the board with background literature in addition to outlining alternative laws that target problem-owners or individual dogs rather than an entire breed. Ultimately, the board decided to dismiss the current proposal and go back to the drawing board.

"I tend to lean towards something that regulates vicious dogs rather than a zeroing in on a specific breed. I do not think we should take any action on the current proposal," said Alderman Ken Thornhill. "I think we should start over."

Thornhill then indicated one of the residents who expressed concerns about pit bulls was also disturbed by other breeds of dog held by the same owner. He said a blanket regulation would address those problems as well. The board will now return to a work session to craft a new proposal. The final proposal will again require the three readings before it can be put into effect.

While many in the crowd considered the decision a victory, some were concerned the board may return with nearly identical regulations despite starting over.

"Banning a breed is not the answer. Making people responsible for their pets and holding people responsible for their actions, that's the answer," said Jackson. "When we address it through an owner's aspect, they are less likely to do the same thing with a totally different dog. Maybe they [the town] will seek some advice and say, 'Hey, help us get a better law here.'"

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=101793&provider=gnews
Back to top Go down
http://www.chevalier-bullterriers.com

FW: [BSL-UPDATES] UPDATE - Dandridge, TN
Page 1 of 1